Welcome to my StarCraft blog! Here you can find casual and family-friendly posts and videos about my experiences and thoughts regarding the captivating world of competitive StarCraft 2 - as well as my adventures as a gamer dad!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Standard in Silver

After winning so many games, it was only a matter of time before my match-making rating (MMR) rose high enough that I would start to encounter solid standard play. Apparently that time arrived two nights ago.

It was late, and I had just played a few 2 vs AI games with a co-worker. I decided to play 1 ladder game before calling it a night. My opponent turned out to be a highly ranked Silver league player - and his play was solid and standard, something I haven't seen in a while!

Although I lost, this is quite a turning point. Battle.net considered me evenly matched with tofool - does this mean my skill is improving back up to that Silver league level? Season 6 starts in a few days, so I guess we'll find out soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. This play by tofool was inspiring! These videos are helping me get a better feel for the timings and when to push and put pressure or try to take map control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my first failed push, he had a great opportunity - and behind that pressure/map control, he expanded. And once you're behind in expansions, there's a real time limit on being able to punish your opponent for expanding.

      The other benefit of pressure is it can put your opponent on tilt - you'll notice I got seriously behind in production - just because of a few tanks and vikings. He did a great job of keeping that pressure up while building production structures and expanding to a 3rd and then the gold. It's definitely inspiring!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Constructive and encouraging words are welcome :) Trolling and elitist attitudes are not!

NOTE: If you are having problems with posting a comment, hit "Preview" instead of "Post Comment". I have "word verification" turned on to reduce spam comments, and in some cases, you will have to hit "Preview" to see this verification step. Thanks!