Welcome to my StarCraft blog! Here you can find casual and family-friendly posts and videos about my experiences and thoughts regarding the captivating world of competitive StarCraft 2 - as well as my adventures as a gamer dad!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

How To Make SC2 Movies

One of my friends asked me what program I used to record SC2 movies. After replying to him, I thought it might be helpful to post this on the blog. So I added a new "page" that describes the process I use. There's a link to the new page at the top of the blog.

Hopefully someone will find it useful :-) I spent some time figuring out what screen capture program I wanted to use (and pay for). I settled on Fraps. Using Movie Maker for my simple needs was also very easy.

I do have a Justin.tv account, and tried using the XSplit program (which is in beta) to create SC2 movies. It seems many people use this program for streaming live games, and it has some cool features like being able to incorporate input from a webcam at the same time!

Unfortunately in my tests on my machine, it performed worse than Fraps and the resulting video file was very low resolution. I think it does more encoding work while recording (which is needed for live streaming), and my computer can't handle it. (speaking of such, maybe I should post my PC specs?)

That's all for right now - don't worry, I plan on posting much more often over the next few days - as I just got some urgent SC2 news today!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it :) I've had some adventures regarding uploads and using embedded videos from YouTube - perhaps I can add notes on that as well at some point...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Constructive and encouraging words are welcome :) Trolling and elitist attitudes are not!

NOTE: If you are having problems with posting a comment, hit "Preview" instead of "Post Comment". I have "word verification" turned on to reduce spam comments, and in some cases, you will have to hit "Preview" to see this verification step. Thanks!