Welcome to my StarCraft blog! Here you can find casual and family-friendly posts and videos about my experiences and thoughts regarding the captivating world of competitive StarCraft 2 - as well as my adventures as a gamer dad!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Girl or Boy?

Tomorrow my wife and I are going to our next baby appointment and finding out whether we'll be having a baby girl or baby boy this fall. I've asked my Facebook friends what their guesses are - and it seemed like I should do something for the blog :)

So here it is - rather than definitively playing Protoss for Season 7 (as had been my previous plan) - my choice of SC2 race will be determined by our next baby's gender!

(I figured boys were more into goopy things.)

In addition, in honor of our third child, I'll strive to always build a third base (Nexus or Hatchery) before the end of every game! (Which, if we're having a girl will be interesting to do as Protoss...)

And yes, there is a chance our baby will be particularly squirmy and the ultrasound technician won't be able to determine the gender... in which case, I'll have to play Random!

4 comments:

  1. This is ground breaking stuff!

    Grow kid as sc pro, no choice now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if it's "ground-breaking", but it's definitely super exciting for me and my family ;-)

      After I found out the baby was a boy, I started thinking about the Plott brothers - Nick (Tasteless) and Sean (Day9) who are both world famous SC2 casters - would both my sons decide to be involved in eSports somehow?

      I don't know how much (or little) I'd encourage them to go the route of being professional players - that's a huge commitment in many ways. But I definitely hope to demonstrate to them that you don't have to be a professional to enjoy eSports or to contribute to the scene :)

      Delete
  2. I would like to see how well a kid does in the Starcraft scene after having grown up playing the game. If Leenock is anything to go by, then he'll be pretty good! I personally have no bias as to whether you play Protoss or Zerg, as I play both frequently, but I think that your selection method is rather clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ethereal! I enjoyed coming up with the idea and it was fun to make the little graphic!)

      It will be interesting to see how the abilities of my two sons (see my latest post!) progress. I've heard of kids as little as 4 years old play (and cast!) (look up Stargirl), but there's something also to be said for them understanding strategy, being able to reach hotkeys, etc. So it might be a while before you see any casts of them playing!

      And yes, if they do decide to do any sort of competitive play, it'll be very interesting to see how well they stack up against kids who didn't grow up in an eSports home! We'll just have to wait and see :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Constructive and encouraging words are welcome :) Trolling and elitist attitudes are not!

NOTE: If you are having problems with posting a comment, hit "Preview" instead of "Post Comment". I have "word verification" turned on to reduce spam comments, and in some cases, you will have to hit "Preview" to see this verification step. Thanks!