Welcome to my StarCraft blog! Here you can find casual and family-friendly posts and videos about my experiences and thoughts regarding the captivating world of competitive StarCraft 2 - as well as my adventures as a gamer dad!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fashionably Late

I was going to post last week about the upcoming Season 6 ladder lock, but as you might guess, time has ran away from me. And last night, I suddenly found myself at the end of Monday night, the last evening before the ladder lock, without having even played my qualifier game!

So I told my wife I'd play just one game - and hit the big yellow button. Surprisingly, Battle.net was having some trouble finding me a match, and seeing the following message made me wonder exactly what I was in for...

Finally it found someone, and the loading screen wasn't clarifying either...

Oddly, there was no indication whether we were evenly matched, or whether one of us was favored to win. I wasn't sure if I had ever encountered this before - but guessing from my opponent's profile picture, I predicted I was in for a loss.

I won't spoil exactly how the game went - having not played on the ladder in 7 weeks, it was an experience! And I'll try to cast it later, but the resulting placement was a surprise!

So I'm apparently in Silver again!

And since that was indeed the only game I played that night, I am locked into Silver League for Season 6 - regardless of how terrible I do for the next week before the season ends next Tuesday :)

A lot has been going on this last week (which I'll definitely expound about later!) and I've been tired and unable to focus on SC2 work - and just today have apparently come down with a yucky cold!

But I'm camped out in the basement armed with a humidifier and a big box of kleenex (and hoping my wife will get some sleep!) - which also happens to be my SC2 office... so I'll be playing ONE ladder game after I publish this post - wish me luck :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey, congrats on attaining the silver badge, Make sure not to lose it again.

    Just watched a couple of your casted games, you don't play bad for a bronze player (bronze at that time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try to put what I've learned into practice - though I play so haphazardly that it often feels like my hands can't keep up with my thought process!

      Thankfully I can't get dropped back into Bronze this season... no promises about my Season 7 qualifier though!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! I'm still looking for a promotion to Masters, but hey. I can't be too greedy. I hope that win will inspire you to play more ladder, I can see how casting your own games would help you to improve quite a bit, very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the recent post on the official SC2 page about league promotions? That's one way to get promoted - though it takes winning a lot of games! And in Diamond, that's not a trivial matter...

      Watching your own replays (or at least ones that had a point in the game that you're curious about) is a gold mine for finding areas to improve in (in my opinion).

      In the last season I did a few live casts of games while I played them, and it seemed like I played better. Normally you would think the opposite would happen - having to talk while playing is added multitasking and makes it harder to play. Perhaps having to explain every decision I was making helped me to self correct as I played?

      You may get a similar experience while streaming :)

      Delete
  3. phew man thought u were dead! thought it was gonna be down to dem quail boi's as the only casters left! excited to see u get some more games out! gl this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My Season 6 was quite short, but interesting! I'll be switching to Protoss for Season 7, so that'll be something to look forward to :)

      Yeah, it had occurred to me that although my blog followers might see the occasional post, my YouTube subscribers haven't gotten any word from me in two months! I'm hoping to at least send out a bulletin to tell people I'm still alive :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Constructive and encouraging words are welcome :) Trolling and elitist attitudes are not!

NOTE: If you are having problems with posting a comment, hit "Preview" instead of "Post Comment". I have "word verification" turned on to reduce spam comments, and in some cases, you will have to hit "Preview" to see this verification step. Thanks!