Welcome to my StarCraft blog! Here you can find casual and family-friendly posts and videos about my experiences and thoughts regarding the captivating world of competitive StarCraft 2 - as well as my adventures as a gamer dad!

Friday, March 8, 2013

Getting Back On My Feet... In Slippers


Returning to a competitive hobby and a content generation role after a period of inactivity can be overwhelming. But every journey starts with a step, and my first step this year has involved... a pair of slippers.

In late October last year, I was on the verge of juggling several GosuDad-related activities:
  • Playing on the SC2 1v1 ladder
  • Casting SC2 replays
  • Recording game unboxings
  • Casting a blind Let's Play of XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Casting CSL replays
  • Blogging & tweeting about all of the above
  • And of course, writing reflective blog posts about being a gamer dad!
As you can see, this was a lot to even dream about back then (and especially now!). When you get ramped up on a creative activity like blogging or casting (or designing computer software), it's easy to get carried away with your aspirations!

I asked Maddie [3 years 8 months old] if I could take a picture of her in my slippers - she insisted on wearing her Lightning McQueen slippers instead.

The start of the new year in January gave me an excellent opportunity to reflect on how I wanted to use my time in the evening (and to be honest about how much time I actually had!), refocus and organize my goals, and start executing.

This effort applied not only to my GosuDad activities, but also to other areas of my home life - my health, our finances, spending time with my wife, quality time with the kids, etc.

My son Isaac [2 years 3 months old] getting into the photo shoot fun - those are his sister's glasses. He loves airplanes.

One of the key principles I wanted to follow - especially with regular activities - was to start small, and build on consistency. I wanted to focus on one step at a time. I would look at adding more activities only after I had achieved some consistency with those first steps.

The blocks of time I had each day for gaming and producing content were (and continue to be) both time-bound and schedule-bound, so I wanted to be careful to not over-extend my horizon too far past my capability.

My baby boy Caleb [4 months old] sitting with Mommy, enjoying his siblings' antics.

So my first step as GosuDad was to get back into SC2 - actually playing the game.  I got pulled into this game (more than any other) due to competitive play.  And not just watching the pros battle it out for $1000's - but the concept that this eSport can be enjoyed at all levels of competition, even the beginners - like me :)

That journey of playing competitively, learning about the game, and gradually improving is where this blog originally started, and I felt it was the right place to restart this year.


My favorite picture! I think I had just told Maddie she was a little stinker. These unscripted silly moments make my day as a daddy! Yes, Isaac is wearing Darth Maul shoes that light up when he walks - and yes, they are pretty awesome.

So what about the slippers?

Well, my gaming PC (okay, the more powerful gaming PC, as both are suited for gaming!) is in my basement, which at this time of year, is a bit chilly in the evening and early morning (when I get time to play). So my feet get cold.

I also tend to lean forward on my feet when I play. Since I don't wear shoes inside, that means I'm also putting pressure on my feet on the hard floor (carpeted with no padding). So my feet can get sore and even lose circulation.

As any competitive gamer will tell you, it's important to be comfortable when you play - both for ergonomics and for your ability to stay focused.

So I now wear sheepskin slippers when I play - my feet are warm and supported :) I even wear them when I play 1v1 ladder games on the "other" PC upstairs in the family room - even though it's warmer up there and the carpet is padded.

Sheepskin slippers :) Behind them is CutieKitty, my "other" PC, who lives in our family room.
As you can see from my ladder stats in the upper right-hand box, I have been quite successful with my first steps - playing 1v1 and tweeting about my games on a daily basis (check out my Twitter for that!). And this post is evidence of my next step - blogging :)

So there you go, GosuDad is back in business! One small step at a time... and now, always in slippers!

GLHF,
GosuDad

[Pictures of the kids: Jan 28, 2013. Pictures of my slippers: Feb 25, 2013]

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! Constructive and encouraging words are welcome :) Trolling and elitist attitudes are not!

NOTE: If you are having problems with posting a comment, hit "Preview" instead of "Post Comment". I have "word verification" turned on to reduce spam comments, and in some cases, you will have to hit "Preview" to see this verification step. Thanks!